Wednesday, April 25, 2012

40 Carats

40 Carats, 1973


I remember watching this movie way back in the 70s (1979 to be precise) when it was first shown on Philippine TV. I appreciated even then at the tender age of 7 how funny this movie was. The movie is about a 40 year old woman who meets a 22 year old man in Greece where they had a one night stand (she gave him a false name and left while he was sleeping). When she returns to New York, she is stunned to find out that her 18 year old daughter hangs out with the same guy and now that he knows where she lives (so to speak), finds it very difficult to get rid of him. The rest of the movie involves her mother, her ex-husband, and the guy's parents. It's really a funny movie because all the actors were some of the best in the business.


Now that I'm 40 myself I can fully understand why Ann Stanley, the name of the leading lady, felt herself drawn to such a young man. Most people don't know this, but some women reach their peak in their mid-30s and early 40s---I'm proud to say that I'm one of these lucky girls. I'm more confident now of myself than I ever was. I'm not at all surprised now that Peter Latham was attracted to Ann---she was one hot momma!